Top Chef’s Gail Simmons Shares Top Picks for Pregnancy
December 16, 2013|
She sat down with 9BLISS to discuss her favorite things for pregnancy. According to Gail Simmons, these are the nine you need:
1) HATCH Maternity Collection: I discovered this amazing line of maternity wear just in time for when I started to show and am so grateful for their super chic clothes. They’re great quality and really comfortable. I have a feeling I will be wearing a lot of their dresses and blazers even postpartum…perhaps, just cinched with a great belt!
2) Breakfast!: It’s the most important meal of the day for an expecting mother. When I am feeling indulgent, I make this recipe for Maple Roasted Pear & Yogurt Parfaits.
3) Mama Mio Tummy Rub Stretch Mark Butter: I have been applying this to my belly every morning. It smells great, feels super luxurious, and it’s free of parabens, sulfates and petroleum.
4) DucDucNYC: I have always thought this line of children’s furniture struck the perfect balance between modern chic and playful. In fact, my husband and I liked the line so much that we had them design an adult version of one of their desks to be a vanity in the master bedroom of our new home.
5) Great, With Child: Letters to a Young Mother: Reading all those serious “how-to” baby books can be so overwhelming. This book was given to me by a good friend and I absolutely LOVED it. Poignant and thoughtful, it’s a great story, but it’s also full of wonderful lessons on mommyhood.
6) Taza Chocolate: In the later months of my pregnancy, a bite of dark chocolate each day has really hit the spot. I love this brand as it’s sustainable, pure and sourced via direct trade with farmers around the world. Plus, they’re all made from bean to bar just outside Boston. Their stone-ground bar flavors are so creative and delicious.
7) Ingrid & Isabel: I have loved this line of clothing’s quality and comfort for maternity basics, especially their leggings and drape dress. Their famous BellaBand allowed me to wear my own jeans until I was 6 months along!
8) Nettle Tea: I was told about Nettle leaf tea by Tom Colicchio who has had two baby boys in the last 4 years and says his wife swore by it. I drink a cup every night before bed to soothe my stomach and relax.
9) Tarte Cosmetics: My makeup artist on Top Chef, Megan Ray, turned me on to this line when I told her I was pregnant. I love how it looks and feels. Their Amazonian Clay products are my favorite for blush, mascara and mineral powder bronzer. I also love all their LipSurgence lip tint colors! All of their products are always formulated without parabens, mineral oil, phthalates, triclosan, sodium lauryl sulfate and gluten, so you can really feel great about using them before, during and after pregnancy.
Watch Gail judge chefs “Giving It A College Try” in Wednesday’s episode of Top Chef New Orleans (10p EST on Bravo) and check out her book, Talking With My Mouth Full.